|Whenever a logical fallacy is committed, the fallacy has its roots in Agrippa's trilemma which is simply the fact that the foundation of all human thought (without Divine revelation) is based on one of three unhappy possibilities. These three possibilities are infinite regression, circular reasoning, or bare assertions without any evidence.
- Fallacy / Paralogism: occurs when any error in thinking causes one to believe something that is not true or cannot be proven to be true.
- Vacuous Explanation / Vacuous Statement / Null Value Fallacy: occurs when a statement contains no meaningful information or a question cannot gain any meaningful information, especially when the illusion is given that information has been gained. A null value is an unknown value. It is not the same as an empty value. Every fallacy results in all or part of a statement/explanation being vacuous. Currently, "vacuous" means having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless. It used to mean empty or lacking content, but that is considered archaic usage according to some sources. To simply call something vacuous without stating why is, in itself, a vacuous statement in the form of a question-begging epithet. The statement contains no information other than a meaningless attack, unless the statement is further explained what fallacies have been committed. EXAMPLE Sandra: “The mechanism for evolution [molecules-to-man] is this. First, we have gene duplication. Then the duplicated gene mutates. That is how information is added to the genome for a small change. Then, if it is an improvement, natural selection selects it and eliminates those individuals that don’t have the new change. If it is a detriment, natural selection eliminates that change. This is proof of evolution [molecules-to-man].” Roxanne: “I don’t mean to be rude, but that’s a vacuous statement. The word evolution must be defined. How mutation provides information must be defined in detail, and the information must be shown to be capable of created changes from the most simple life to human beings.’” There is no evidence of actual information of the kind that would be needed for the smallest supposed step in molecules-to-man evolution to have ever happened. There is duplication. There are mutations. There is natural elimination in extreme cases. However, there is no evidence for information being added. Yet the story sounded real, didn’t it? Even if there were a way that information could be added, this is still vacuous. It is still a null value. That is because there is no evidence presented that molecules-to-man evolution actually happened. To show that something could happen does not in any indicate that it did happen. You should be glad about this, since there are murders committed that you would have had opportunity to commit. Fortunately, you are not going to be prosecuted for them, because there is no evidence that you did commit them.
- Deductive Fallacy: occurs when any fallacy of deductive reasoning is committed. This is a very broad term that would include all deductive fallacies.
- Inductive Fallacy: occurs when any fallacy of inductive reasoning is committed. This is a very broad term that would include all inductive fallacies.
- Secularist Trilemma / Münchhausen Trilemma / Agrippa's Trilemma / Albert's Trilemma: occurs when the Naturalistic assumption/axiom becomes the basis of thought. The Münchhausen Trilemma (sometimes called Agrippa's Trilemma) is an unsolved problem in Secular thinking that goes back to at least the First Century A.D. There are only three possilble foundations for thought when trying to prove anything under Naturalistic assumptions. These are infinite regression, circular reasoning, and axiomatic thinking. For this reason, Naturalists, cannot speak in terms of truth. When they do, they run into the Münchhausen Trilemma / Agrippa's Trilemma. The Münchhausen Trilemma / Agrippa's Trilemma also invalidates the reasoning of Christians who deny Divine revelation as the foundation of their reasoning. EXAMPLE "Any reasonable person to reads the Bible will see that God created the Heavens and the Earth in six days." The implication is that the human mind is capable of conjuring knowledge from reading alone, as if God was not involved. While God speaks personnally to any person who reads the Bible, not every person acknowledges God. It is not about being reasonable. It is about having deep respect, a submissive attitude, sincerity, and it is about acknowleging Who is speaking to you through the Scirpture.
Last updated: Oct, 2014
Fallacy / Paralogism
Vacuous Explanation / Vacuous Statement / Null Value Fallacy
Secularist Trilemma / Munchhausen Trilemma / Agrippa's Trilemma / Albert's Trilemma Destroys Secularist Thinking
The Munchhausen Trilemma is an Unsolvable Problem for Naturalistic Logic
Encyclopedia of Logical Fallacies
Toons & Vids
Fallacies of Presumptions, Bare Assertions, and Lies (using no evidence at all)
Fallacies of Flawed Evidence
Fallacies of Limiting Presuppositions
Fallacies of Contradiction
Fallacies of Comparison
Fallacies of Choice
Fallacies of Cause
Fallacies of Circular Reasoning
Fallacies of Non Sequitur
Fallacies of Invalid Form
Fallacies of Ambiguity
Relevance Fallacies of Authority
Relevance Fallacies of Emotion
Relevance Fallacies of the Source: Person, Organization, Book, etc.
Relevance Fallacies of Pressure
Relevance Fallacies of Distraction/Misdirection
Fallacies of Omission
Tactics and Mind Games
Faulty Conclusions that Affect Future Reasoning
Answer to Critic
Answer to Critic
Appeal to Possibility
Argument to the Future
Love Between a Man and Woman
Righteousness & Holiness
Proof by Atheism
Scriptures About Marriage
The Reason for Rejecting Truth
Witness on the Internet
Flaky Human Reasoning
How Do You Know?
The Real Purpose of the Church
The Real Purpose of Life
From Glory to Glory
REAL Faith--What it IS & IS NOT
REAL Love--What it IS & IS NOT
How to be Led by God
How to Witness
Wisdom: Righteousness & Reality
Holiness & Mind/Soul
Redemption: Free From Sin
Stories Versus Revelation
Circular Reasoning-Who is Guilty?
How Can We Know Anything?
Mind Designed to Relate to God
Answers for the Confused
Fossil Record Says: "Creation"
Avoid These Pitfalls
Public School's Religion
Public School Failures
How can we know anything about anything?
That's the real question