The term, 5-fold ministry is a bit of a misnomer, although that is not really important. The important thing is obedience to the Spirit of God as He reveals the order in the Scripture. The apostle is an office. The other four, prophet, evangelists, pastor, and teacher, are all ministries. These four ministries are linked to the office of the apostle, though they can exist on the local Church level without the apostolic office.
Even though the term, 5-fold ministry, may not be totally accurate, the Bible does show that the four ministries are given to the apostles (the 5-fold ministry).
- Jesus, the Chief Apostle, was referred to as prophet, evangelist, pastor, and teacher.
- John 14:23 says that Jesus is the apostle. The ministry is the Christ in us, the hope of glory. The gift that He gave is Himself. The office of apostle is not the fleshly man, it is the Christ in the man holding the office. If we can discern the Body of Christ, we can see this.
- Hebrews 3:1 says that Jesus is the prophet. In the same way, the man who is set by God into the office of prophet has a flesh but is the ministry, the Christ in him, the hope of glory.
- John 4:19 says that Jesus is the evangelist in the same way.
- Luke 8:1 tells us that that Jesus is the pastor (shepherd). It is He appearing in His church in His abiding presence (parousia) with every member He has called to be a shepherd.
- John 10:14 tells us that Jesus is the teacher living in each one who is called to be a teacher, not to help them in the role but to be the Teacher within them and to do the work through them as they yield to the Holy Spirit.
- Ephesians 4:7, 8, 11 Grace (free gift) is given according to the measure of the gift. When Christ ascended, He gave gifts to men. He gave some apostles (one sent. This is an office, not a ministry. It is an elder or a deacon.), prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers. The way this is written, the four ministries are the ones that apostles carry.
- The Ministry of Prophet
- 1 Corinthians 14:3 tells us that prophecy encourages, builds up, and comforts the church.
- Ezekiel 37:1-10 prophesies of how prophecy will be used to bring the Body of Christ into unity.
- Acts 13:1 tells of prophets and teachers in the church. Agabus is one who is named, both here and in Acts 21:10.
- There are different levels of authority in prophecy:
- The Ministry of Evangelist
- 2 Timothy 4:5 speaks of Timothy being an evangelist. 2 Timothy 4:5 shows us that Timothy was doing the work of an evangelist. Timothy is named among the apostles and he is an evangelist. It is obvious that Paul, the elder, is directing Timothy's work as a deacon, but both were apostles, sent by God as traveling ministries.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:1 and 2:6 show us that Timothy had authority to minister to the whole church--he had universal authority as an apostle, a traveling deacon.
- Acts 21:8 and Acts 8:5-6 speak of Philip the evangelist. Some think that Philip was a local deacon, though he was set as a deacon to the apostles so that the apostles would not have to deal with the distribution of bread. It is possible that an evangelist could be a holder of a local office in a local church rather than having the universal authority of a traveling ministry. Philip did travel.
- The Ministry of Pastor
- Psalm 23 speaks of the ministry of the pastor or shepherd, one of the apostolic ministries. It is amazing the amount of emphasis that is given to "pastors" in today's churches. The word, pastor, is mentioned only once in the Bible as a noun and then it is mentioned as a ministry of an apostle, a traveling ministry with universal authority over the entire church. It isn't even mentioned that much as a verb, as an action that is done, but it is mentioned more as a verb than as a noun. The word, pastor, means to care for the people as a shepherd cares for sheep.
- John 21:15-17 shows Peter being set in as a pastor. Peter was an apostle, a traveling ministry with universal authority.
- Acts 9:32 shows Peter acting as pastor (shepherd), not in a local church but to the entire church. There is no record in Scripture or in early church historical records of any local pastors. Those were added by men in later centuries. They are not the pattern of Scripture.
- The Ministry of Teacher
- 1 Timothy 2:7 speaks of Paul as a teacher, one who makes people understand.
- 1 Timothy 1:11 and 2 Timothy 2:7 state that Paul is an apostle, a preacher of the gospel, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
- John 21:15-17 tells us Peter, a traveling elder, had the ministry of a pastor and also of a teacher.
- Isaiah 30:20-21 speaks to us of the ministry of the teacher.
- 1 Corinthians 2 lets us know that this teaching ministry does not work according to men's wisdom but the things that the Holy Spirit teaches.
Last updated: May, 2013
The Church Universal
Apostles: Traveling Elders & Deacons
5-Fold Ministry Misnomer
Toons & Vids
What is the Scriptural Order of Apostles
Did God restore the 5-fold ministry? Are there apostles today?
How Can You Discern True Apostles From False Apostles
Apostles are NOT infallible. Apostles Make Mistakes Just Like Everyone Else.
Apostles Equip with Doctrine and Revelation:
Apostles Equip with Government
Apostles Equip With Gifts of the Spirit
What is the foundation of the church?
Apostles build the church
Apostles link the church to Jesus and the Father
Apostles Are Servants
Apostles Are Traveling Ministries
Traveling Deacons versus Traveling Elders--From This We See That Both Are Apostles
What is the 5-fold ministry and why is it important?
The 5-Fold Ministry Is a Misnomer
Why is the 5-fold ministry, as described in Scripture, so unpopular?
Who sets ministries in the Church and how does God say that is to be decided?
Apostles Receive Their Living From the Gospel
Many Apostles are Mentioned in Scripture
Can The Ministries And Offices Of The Church Be Counterfeited?
Aren't there false apostles and false prophets?
There Is No Chief Apostle Except Jesus
Was Peter the foundation of the church and the first pope?
Was There Such a Thing as The Apostolic Age?
Are Apostles Something from the Past or Has God Restored Apostles?
Questions and Answers: Please help me to connect the old testament ministers to the new testament fivefold offices clearly stating the similarities of these offices.
Could Anyone Ever Have/Be All Four Apostolic Ministries or Have All Nine Gifts of the Spirit?
Answer to Critic
Appeal to Possibility
Argument to the Future
Love Between a Man and Woman
Righteousness & Holiness
Proof by Atheism
Scriptures About Marriage
The Reason for Rejecting Truth
Witness on the Internet
Flaky Human Reasoning
How Do You Know?
The Real Purpose of the Church
The Real Purpose of Life
From Glory to Glory
REAL Faith--What it IS & IS NOT
REAL Love--What it IS & IS NOT
How to be Led by God
How to Witness
Wisdom: Righteousness & Reality
Holiness & Mind/Soul
Redemption: Free From Sin
Stories Versus Revelation
Circular Reasoning-Who is Guilty?
How Can We Know Anything?
Mind Designed to Relate to God
Answers for the Confused
Fossil Record Says: "Creation"
Avoid These Pitfalls
Public School's Religion
Public School Failures
How can we know anything about anything?
That's the real question