Bible Study Tool
Paul, the apostolic elder's first letter to Timothy, who was an apostolic deacon (a traveling deacon rather than a local deacon) working under Paul's direction.
1. teach only the apostle's doctrine--no speculation--the law is good for evil-doers--Jesus came to save sinners--Timothy to fight the good fight in accordance with the prophecies concerning him (timothy)--a note of discipline of Hymenaeus and Alexander
2. call to prayer--instruction to women
3. overseers and deacons
4. apostasy: listening to deceitful spirits, forbidding marriage, abstaining from certain foods--Timothy to nourish with the words of faith and sound doctrine, avoid fables, practice godliness--don't neglect the gift that was given by the prophetic utterance and the laying on of hands of the presbytery (gathering of elders)
5. widows--how to treat elders--don't be hasty about laying hands on anyone and end up sharing responsibility for sins of others--stay free from sin--some peoples sins are evident going before them to judgment while other people's sins follow them afterward
6. instructions for employees--Godliness with contentment--the love of money and the torment associated with it--command the rich to be humble--avoid that which is falsely knowledge
God has established the pattern of Scripture, for life and for the Church.